Friday, April 02, 2010

Birds of a Feather

I'm a firm believer that your likes, dislikes, and personality are a combination of environment and heredity. I could never explain my attraction to and love of motorcycles. No one in my family that I knew of ever owned a motorcycle and my Mother despises them! So I know I didn't get the fondness for the open road and the wind in my hair from her...or did I?

A few years ago my Mother sent me some photographs of the Garland family (her paternal line) that look as if they were taken in the late 1950's or early 1960's. They show most of the Garlands at my Great Grandparent's restaurant in Maine called The Hilltop. Two in particular that I have posted below caught my attention. It was my Grand Uncle Baker (Full name Andrew Baker Garland Jr) sitting on a motorcycle. When I asked my Mother about it she said that after he served in the Korean War he drove that motorcycle from Texas to Maine on one long road trip. Something I had never known about him. So now I know where my love of motorcycles comes from and have a great family story to pass on to family both present and future!

Do you have information on Andrew Baker Garland Jr. or the Garland line? I'd love to talk to you and exchange information/photos! Email me at FamilyReflections2006@yahoo.com.

No comments: